I’m so excited to announce that I’m joining my first ever readathon!
If you want to participate, go to the video and learn more! Here’s a quick run-down of the readathon:
Basically, you choose a cabin (Poseidon, Apollo, etc.) and complete the reading prompts to get points. You can also choose to complete the optional prompts to get more points for your cabin!
I’m hoping to complete ALL of these prompts so I have a few book options for each prompt!
Also, this is based on the Percy Jackson books
which is the only reason I joined.
I’m going to be in Team Aphrodite just because I like the prompts the best (otherwise, believe me, I would NOT be in this cabin XD).
Also, I’m trying to get in a lot of Pride reads too since this readathon goes through June so lots of these will be aimed at that 🙂
1. Aphrodite is often invested in the love lives of mortals. Read a romance to curb her curiosity.
For this, there are SO many contemporaries out there! But I think I’m going to go with one of these two:
- “Not Your Sidekick” by C.B. Lee: Asian, sapphic, I’m excited!
- “The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue” by Mackenzi Lee: gay (!!) and definitely has romance!
2. Read a book with a cover you think is beautiful.
Once again, there are lots of beautiful covers floating out there, but I’m trying to narrow it down to books I want to read anyway.
- “The Poet X” by Elizabeth Acevedo: not pride, but I loved her other book and apparently the audiobook is amazing so!!
- “We Unleash The Merciless Storm” by Tehlor Kay Mejia: sapphic, diverse, and awesome cover that I’m obsessed with! The first book was *chef’s kiss*.
- “Felix Ever After” by Kacen Callender: I read Faith’s review and was immediately intrigued by this book!! Definitely queer rep, and queer POC rep at that.
3. Read a book with a strong, independent, female main character.
Once again, lots of books have these so I’m trying to stick to books I predict I’ll love.
- “Slay” by Brittney Morris: this excites me SO much and I definitely think the MC will be a strong female character! (hint: GAMING) however, it’s not a pride read so let’s see if I get to it 😦
- “Far From The Tree” by Emma Mills: so I’ve heard amazing things about this book and I need to read it. It also has lesbian rep so!
4. Aphrodite speaks fondly of her daughter Juliet and her short-lived romance with Romeo. Read a classic novel in remembrance of them.
Okay so for this one I already chose my book and it’s NOT pride (sad, yeah, but there aren’t that many pride classics,,,,)
- “To Kill A Mockingbird” by Harper Lee: the classic to beat all classics, and I’m very eager to see if I’ll like it or if my woke self will find it problematic.
5. As his lover, Aphrodite spends a lot of time with Ares. Complete a prompt that honours him.
For this one, the first book is for the morally grey prompt and the second one is for the books with red covers prompt.
- “If We Were Villains” by C.B. Lee: okay there are a lot of Lee authors here on my list! But I’ve heard great things about this book and boy am I interested! ALSO THEATRE GAYS.
- actually just kidding !! I was gonna put The Astonishing Color of After but I want to read pride books and as much as I wanna read this I’ll have to wait *sob*
OPTIONAL. A book shorter than 200 pages (archery).
So. It’s immensely hard to find books under 200 pages and I did not know that. However, I will offer you this:
- “Girl, Stolen” by April Henry: so techNICALLy it’s over 200 pages but I kind of don’t care stop bullying me 😭 (April Henry is an author I’ve read before and I like her books! So! Maybe)
- “Pumpkinheads” by Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks: IT’S NOT PRIDE BUT I NEED TO READ THIS BOOK. Both of these authors are amazing and also it’s exactly 200 pages I’ve lucked out.
OPTIONAL. A book with a blue cover. (canoeing)
- “They Both Die At The End” by Adam Silvera: gay. sad. all the feels. hopefully.
OPTIONAL. A book published within the last 5 years.
Basically any book I want to read could work? So for this one, I think I’m gonna go simple…
- “Heartstopper” by Alice Oseman”: amazing author, everyone loves it, GAY, what could go wrong?! (also I really want to read this)
So that’s that and I’m very excited! By the time you’re reading this I probably would have started on one of the books 😉
ALSO, MY BIRTHDAY’S IN LIKE A FEW DAYS AND Y’ALL I’M EXCITED. Can you guess how old I will be turning?
Which of these books have you read? Which are you most anticipating? Are you going to join this readathon?